Monday, August 10, 2009

update on sleeping...

people have been asking if its gotten any better...

yes...and no.

Yes- now when they wake they aren't staying up for three hours

No- we seem to be doing more frequent wake ups

We had transitioned them to an earlier bedtime than what China had them on. We felt 9pm was just too late for such little guys. So now they go to bed by 8pm. They are out right away....Yeah!
But consistently 2 1/2 hours later they are up...or at least one of them is.

Last night went like this: in bed by 8:03...no sounds at all coming from the room by 8:05.

10:30- Hunter
10:45- Hunter again
11:30 - Zachary
12:30-Hunter
12:47- Zachary
3:40- Zachary
4:40-Hunter
5:50-Hunter
6:10- Zachary (followed by last ditch effort of bringing him into our bed for a hopeful few more minutes of sleep)
6:30- Hunter (ditto to above note, but w/ Daddy getting him)
7:00- both boys officially awake

As you can see there is not a lot of sleep time in there for Mommy. We are continuing to try the recommendations from our adoption groups, but if this doesn't get any better we may have to look to some professionals.
(But, actually, this IS better than where we were a month ago....then they weren't going back to sleep in 10 minutes or so....it was 2-3 hour periods of trying to get them quieted back down...so this at least feels a bit better. I just wish I was the kind of person who could konk out the minute my head hits the pillow...but not the case. I am usually just drifting off when the next wake up call begins...sigh.)

2 comments:

TeachMe said...

We learned something recently with DD#2 who is home 5 weeks with us. If she can feel the peepee in her diaper, she will wake up several times a night. We slather- and I do mean a thick coat- of balmex on her before bed and voila no more wake ups. Perhaps its worth a try? You never know what may help.

Good luck. My first daughter had terrible sleep issues so I soooo know where you are now. Sleep when you can.
frteach

Dawn said...

I found the room wasn't dark enough for my daughter who has albinism. I call her my little mole. The room has to be black for her not to wake up every hour. I can barely see my hand infront of my face as I walk across the room but she now sleeps from 8 pm til 6:30am straight through. A friend who just brought home her daughter says she has to run a constant relaxation cd like running water or the ocean in the background so there is enough noise. Our homes are no where as loud as an orphanage so this helps. Good luck.